Thursday, December 11, 2014

I'm a victim of sexual assault and the law failed. How many of us must speak out for you to believe? | Megan Carpentier | Comment is free | theguardian.com

I'm a victim of sexual assault and the law failed. How many of us must speak out for you to believe? | Megan Carpentier | Comment is free | theguardian.com: "What the prosecutors didn’t tell me was that the police who took my attacker into custody that night didn’t ask him a question about what he’d done, even though he didn’t invoke his right to an attorney. What they didn’t say is that I’d already answered more questions that night than my attacker had ever been asked or would ever be asked by law enforcement about that night. What they didn’t mention is that they’d already decided not to prosecute Jesus Rivera for what he did to me – for sexually assaulting me – and they were meeting with me – a victim of sexual assault – not to discuss how to proceed. They were there to break the news that they didn’t plan to proceed at all.

“We’re not here to get justice for you,” the blonde prosecutor said, as I tightened every muscle in my face to keep from crying. “We’re here to get justice for the people of Virginia.”"



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps