Friday, October 3, 2014

I’ve Interviewed 100s of Candidates and the Ones I Hire Always Do This

I’ve Interviewed 100s of Candidates and the Ones I Hire Always Do This: "I recommend using some sort of structure to make sure your interviewer understands what you are trying to convey. I'm a fan of the STAR method: Situation (set the scene), Task (what was required), Action (what exactly you did), Result (what happened).

Setting up the scene is critical. While you are intimately familiar with what happened, the interviewer is not. Take the time to make sure they can place themselves at the scene. If you don't do this, the rest of the story will be lost on them.

I personally use the same method for any type of situational interview as well: "What would you do if you were placed in a specific situation?" Take the time to develop a shared understanding of the situation with the interviewer so that you are working together to determine what needs to be done."



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps