Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Why Women Need Their Girlfriends

Why Women Need Their Girlfriends: "Years ago, I was at the beach with my family when I noticed a group of ladies nearby who appeared to be in their 50s.

With a quick glance, I knew they were on a girls' weekend. All the signs were there -- coolers and cocktails, beach bags with romance novels, straw hats, umbrellas in the sand -- but most telling of all was their laughter. Lots and lots of laughter, the kind that draws attention and curiosity from anyone in earshot.

I loved watching these women enjoy each other's company. Although they were older than me, and well past my season of life in having babies, I could imagine being in their shoes one day, basking in the glow of old friends who still made me feel young again.

That afternoon, I saw two of them in the elevator. When I commented on how much fun they seemed to have, they smiled and nodded. One replied, "Oh, we do have fun. We've kept this beach trip going for 20 years and have been through everything -- divorce, death, cancer, unemployment. Don't ever lose touch with your girlfriends, sweetheart. The older you get, the more you'll need them.""



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps