Sunday, November 16, 2014

Leading Activist Apologizes For Starting Anti-GMO Movement | Hawaii Reporter

Leading Activist Apologizes For Starting Anti-GMO Movement | Hawaii Reporter: "So I did some reading. And I discovered that one by one my cherished beliefs about GM turned out to be little more than green urban myths.





  • I’d assumed that it would increase the use of chemicals. It turned out that pest-resistant cotton and maize needed less insecticide. 
  • I’d assumed that GM benefited only the big companies. It turned out that billions of dollars of benefits were accruing to farmers needing fewer inputs. 
  • I’d assumed that Terminator Technology was robbing farmers of the right to save seed. It turned out that hybrids did that long ago, and that Terminator never happened. 
  • I’d assumed that no-one wanted GM. Actually what happened was that Bt cotton was pirated into India and roundup ready soya into Brazil because farmers were so eager to use them. 
  • I’d assumed that GM was dangerous. It turned out that it was safer and more precise than conventional breeding using mutagenesis for example; GM just moves a couple of genes, whereas conventional breeding mucks about with the entire genome in a trial and error way. 




But what about mixing genes between unrelated species? The fish and the tomato? Turns out viruses do that all the time, as do plants and insects and even us – it’s called gene flow.
But this was still only the beginning. So in my third book The God Species I junked all the environmentalist orthodoxy at the outset and tried to look at the bigger picture on a planetary scale."



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps