Sunday, November 16, 2014

I’m a black woman with a white husband. People assume I’m a prostitute all the time. - The Washington Post

I’m a black woman with a white husband. People assume I’m a prostitute all the time. - The Washington Post: "The online conversation about women of color being profiled as sex workers made me think about my own stories. The first time I was mistaken for a sex worker I was on my husband’s arm at an event in California four years ago. A man approached me, asking if he could buy me a drink. I declined, and he proceeded to whisper to me, “How much?”

In my naivete, I asked, “How much for what?” It wasn’t until I looked him in the eye that I understood exactly what he meant. I was speechless, angry and embarrassed. I hastily walked away while flashing the ring on my left hand, hoping to indicate that I was married. To this day, I wonder if he thought I was laying out my price."



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps