Friday, January 23, 2015

BBC News - The women who must make Delhi safer

BBC News - The women who must make Delhi safer: "It is a short walk from my office in the heart of Delhi to the nearest underground station - just 10 minutes. But it is a nervous 10 minutes.

Especially on dark wintry evenings, I set out with a sense of unease. I ask myself if I am being paranoid. However, few women are around at that time and Delhi has a poor reputation for safety.

I am not the only one asking this question, and in less than a fortnight several women running for office in India's capital will need to answer it.

Delhi has been without a government for roughly a year but, on 7 February, voters will choose members to fill the 70-member state assembly.

The three major parties - Bharatiya Janata Party, Aam Aadmi Party and Congress - are fielding some high-profile women, and some fresh faces."



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps