Friday, April 25, 2014

Is "Voluntourism" Itself Being Exploited? | Daniela Papi

Is "Voluntourism" Itself Being Exploited? | Daniela Papi: "In a piece on his new Voluntourism Institute blog, David Clemmons recently released an article exploring the exploitation of voluntourism itself. It resonated with me, as over the last few months I have read a number of "anti-voluntourism" pieces that people have sent me thinking I'd love them, but instead they made me really worried that these arguments are moving off point.

David's article was spurred in part by an ABC Australia Broadcast piece I was a part of, which they provocatively named "Is 'voluntourism' the new colonialism?" David might be surprised to know, I agree with him in large part: "voluntourism" is being wrongly blamed as the "culprit" here and in other similar pieces. In my opinion, it is the marketing of the most irresponsible volunteer programs, and additionally, our own egos, which are leading us astray, not any whole sector."



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps