Monday, December 17, 2012

'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother': A Mom's Perspective On The Mental Illness Conversation In America

'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother': A Mom's Perspective On The Mental Illness Conversation In America:


According to Mother Jones, since 1982, 61 mass murders involving firearms have occurred throughout the country. Of these, 43 of the killers were white males, and only one was a woman. Mother Jones focused on whether the killers obtained their guns legally (most did). But this highly visible sign of mental illness should lead us to consider how many people in the U.S. live in fear, like I do.
When I asked my son’s social worker about my options, he said that the only thing I could do was to get Michael charged with a crime. “If he’s back in the system, they’ll create a paper trail,” he said. “That’s the only way you’re ever going to get anything done. No one will pay attention to you unless you’ve got charges.”


'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps