Wednesday, May 9, 2007

(9 May 2007) David Bowie, Counter-Part Workshop & Swearing-In


Well it's hard to believe that PST is almost over and swearing-in is in 3 days.  Though 8 weeks is a long time, it's flown by fast. This Sunday I head to Tamba in a long bumpy sept-place ride few a few other volunteers and my new friend David Bowie.  Yes, I got 2 birthday wishes this year; I ate coffee ice cream and found a kitten.  David Bowie (first we thought it was a boy, then a girl, and now we've decided that it's too early to tell) is 4-5 weeks old, all black except for 2 big white spots on her abdomen, and, has clear blue eyes. I found Bowie along the road while I was walking home last week.  I saw her walking towards the street and when I went over to her she ran up to me and climbed in my lap.  I looked around for her mom (no mom or any other cats for that matter), did a quick check for any obvious funky skin conditions, and phoned another volunteer who has worked with animal shelters/humane society type organizations forever (Thanks Meg!).  After my fellow volunteer's vote of confidence that, yes indeed, this was a feasible idea and deciding that this little black kitten had a better chance of surviving with me than without me, we were on our way home together.
 
So far, Bowie drinks mainly milk, although she's eaten 1 hard boiled egg and a little bit of chicken.  I found some cat food in the Toubab store, but she's not up to it yet.  The vet I took her to said she was too small to get any vaccinations, but come IST (Aug-Sept) she should be big enough.  She's SUPER friendly; all the other volunteers are in love with her and my counterpart even picker her up and played with her a little. I have some photos, but my camera's having issues, so no word on when those will be up.
 
Beyond the awesomeness of having a kitten, life's going well so far.  Last week we had our Counterpart Workshop, where the people we'll be working with come to the Training Center in Thiès to learn about the PC and get to know us.  Both my Official and Local counterparts came, which is really encouraging.  Apparently, PC delivers invitations the week before so often times counterparts don't come to the CPW (granted there are other difficulties besides notice, we all in the health program just thought that less than a weeks notice to figure out how to get yourself to Thiès was sort of ridiculous).  My official counterpart speaks French, Wolof, Pulaar, and a little bit of Pula-Futa; my local counterpart speaks Wolof and Pulaar.  We were able to communicate somewhat during the workshop, but I have no doubt that communication is going to be extremely difficult during the first 3 months.  Though we both speak Wolof, the Wolof in the villages is different than the Wolof we learn at the center (as is true with most of the languages).  Additionally, most of the people in my region speak Pulaar; my actual village speaks Wolof, Pulaar, Pula-Futa, and Mandinka. I also think my counterpart might be more comfortable with Pulaar than Wolof so I'm hoping that for IST I can get some Pulaar down.
 
I know I vented a bit about PST before, but on a more constructive note I really want to go visit other PC countries and see how they run their trainings.  Not all countries are the same and I'm really interested to see how the health programs are run.  Though I'm sure that every country's needs and priorities are different, I would imagine (or at least hope) that PC would have some type of overarching health program mission statement or something.  We filled out our final written evaluation of the training program, so there are a lot of ideas running around in at least my head.
 
Besides the challenges of language, the first 3 months are going to be difficult just settling in.  Our training frequently reinforces that going to other compounds to meet people, learning where the wells are and how to get water/food is actual work.  It's difficult, it's hot and just because we're not leading causeries on making neem lotion or family planning doesn't mean we're not working.  But, I am excited.  It will be nice to not have to wake up while the stars are still out or run to class at the beat of the sabaar.  It will probably be too hot to do much during the day, so I'll have plenty of time to sit and talk with my family/community and get to know them.
 
Well, David Bowie's napping in my room for now, but she'll be up and wanting some love and attention soon.  I found a giant feather at the center yesterday and it's her new favorite toy.  Thanks for everyone's birthday wishes and support.  Tambacounda here I come!
 
Ba Chikanom,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps